Monday, November 15, 2010

Creek Owl






Slept in until noon, and skipped Breakfast..geared up, paddled out the Backyard past the Dogwoods, quiet, around Lower Falls out through Bobcat Meadow to the Village...quiet...tourist quiet too!...picked up mail, and made another visit to the residents' and employees' art show...as word has gone around, more art has been brought in, and it's a very cool show...returned to the Cabin through the Oak Grove, and dropped off gear at the Cabin--Dogwoods still quiet...and to Lunch...and Robins were all over the Dogwood by Last Chance...too shady, and tripod not with!....gathered up the gear, and waited awhile at the Three Dogwoods, only one Dogwood still has enough Leaves for pics....one strong Breeze will take away the Leaves!...picked up, and paddled out to Two Top Pine Meadow...sat awhile at the Burnt Log...quiet...lots of Flying Insects over the Meadow, mostly Lady Bugs, I think--warm weather brings the Lady Bugs....picked up, and back to Owl Woods, where I heard early hooo hooos from both Ponderosa and Sentinel...was hopeful of finding Owls in the Light, but no luck...Light fading, and after looking here and there, left off.....was happily surprised when I reached the Swath to see Sentinel perched on the Ponderosa again like the other evenings...stopped in my tracks, set the tripod up, and pics and clips in the fading Light...Hawk, Redtail, I think, called and got Sentinel's attention...I thought to try to circle around in front, but couldn't picture what noise I might make with all the Leaves fallen, and left off when the card filled up....turned back for one last look, but Sentinel had flown off...returned to check where I might have stood in front, and missed a chance there, as one of the Use Paths would have taken me to a good spot with cover...remember that for next time!...a lot of my pics are made possible because I'm familiar with where I can walk, and walk quiet!...report of Does and Fawns yesterday swimming across the Merced downriver from Beaver Bend...report of Golden Eagle in the Foothillls, Los Banos Dam??....web report of many Bird sightings at Merced Wild Refuge, and the Sandhill Cranes are moving on....

No comments: