Monday, January 12, 2015

Awahnee














My spelling like my penmanship isn't very good...I can remember thinking when in the orientation and training meetings one of the instructors had such wonderful penmanship when writing and drawing things on the white felt tip pen board that they should be an artist...Awahnee is spelled Ahwahnee, I think...I never have complete confidence in anything!...rolled out to 39's Beach, and sat awhile watching the Sun set, but picked up, too cool, before Sun reached the horizon...one Piper pic before I left, and made an effort at home to draw Piper on the newsprint in charcoal using the camera lcd screen as reference...I made one first bold line, the bill top, paused, took a breath, and tried the lower side, and missed...if I had gotten that second line, I would have continued with bold lines, a kinda dream to be able to do a drawing all the way through that way , but continued and fussed and tried to get likeness capture...the watercolor sketch of the Awhanee is done with an India ink pen too...I did a number of sketches like this...I like the India Ink Pen nibs...some instructors had us use sharpie pens, which I don't like much...the line sharpies draw is too uniform...nibs are fun, and I am in complete admiration of the penmanship in the days of quill feather pens and India ink pens...I don't know how good penmanship is learned...we all learn to draw when we learn to write the alphabet...and at times I think the best way to learn to draw is just copy, over and over, 'till it becomes second nature, then one can do the 'bold strokes'!...rained a bit last night too, cool today...I've been watching my Person of Interest tv show dvd sets back to back to back to back, four episodes at a time, and I've gotten caught up, and can now follow a lot of the subtle stuff in the show!...also, I find my self explaining things like Finch, curling my lip like John, being snarky like Shaw, widening my eyes like Root, and looking beset like Lionel...and missing like all of them, Carter...Bear is my favorite...chew toys and snacks between unleashed mayhem!

oh, and here a bit on penmanship...

quote

When Jefferson wrote to his grandson Thomas Jefferson Randolph on 16 April 1810 to encourage him to practice daily letter-writing, he added some advice on penmanship:
“take pains at the same time to write a neat round, plain hand, and you will find it a great convenience through life to write a small & compact hand as well as a fair & legible one.”

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: A Look at Penmanship

No comments: