Thursday, January 15, 2015

Elm














The features of the Valley are iconic, the Peaks and Domes and Waterfalls well known, so when one draws or paints them, however much one strays from an exact rendering, the art will still 'look' like what it depicts...and if one just plain misses a rendering one can excuse it as an abstract!...I'm trying to remember what I was thinking when I did the watercolor sketch...I know we were set up under the Black Oaks, and looking out opposite that view of Half Dome towards Bobcat Meadow, the Elm on the right, and the Cathedrals way in the distance...what I seem to have done is move the Sentinel Wall over where the Cathedrals would be, and just generalized it, and either I didn't have time to finish, or said, wth, looks fine unfinished!...and it does!...I really like the look of the distant mountains...I was too trying I think to just do a few 'shapes'...when doing thumbnails, or a real rough sketch, one looks for big shapes, and just blocks them in...and I thought to do the Elm in sepia in the charcoal sketch...if I could work this sketch up, do it on good paper and with more study, I think it would be very good...I have another to do tomorrow somewhat like this of Half Dome...curious to see what I do!...sunny clear blue...rolled over to Edinger Park...no Ospreys about...the usual suspects...Ducks, Geese, Coots, Cormorants, Sea Gulls...and Phoebe...pics for sometime...

Sycamore Leaf fall
Ripple on the park duck pond
In January

DolphinWords

No comments: