Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Eye of Horus




























In another earlier art class, like Spring 1969, we were given the assignment to prepare two large canvases, four feet by four feet, and by prepare, it was meant to assemble the stretcher bars, stretch canvas,  size with rabbit skin glue, and paint with white gesso...and on the two canvases we were to paint something small, big, and something big, small...I just have no idea what goes on in art instructor heads when they make assignments!...but I found a photo of  Moth in the National Geographic, and likely there too the Egyptian Hawk,  Horus...I chose both because they would be simple to paint...I know better than to try and paint Napoleon on his Charger crossing the Alps!...I distinctly remember when I chose Hawk that I thought, 'well, I'll put Hawk's eye back'...I didn't realize that there was a whole story about restoring the eye of Horus!..and as for the Moth, with the small made big in mind, I wanted to emphasize the veins in the wings and the veins in the leaves, how they were alike...an early glimmering in my noggin of self similarity!!...I went through google images, search Egyptian tombs, and found the painting I used for reference, and I tried to go through images moths, but can't find the moth...and in both searches I found myself wondering about things of beauty that are never seen...the moths are a riot of colors, but they fly about at night, and the Egyptians did their paintings, and then buried them, never to be seen again...we live in a world with so much to look at, but  things are just un-seeable for one reason or another!...the stylized background behind Hawk in the tomb is said to represent the 'western mountains'...instructor commented, 'the feet are so big!'...damage now is from the long storage in the garage rafters!

No comments: