Saturday, January 31, 2015

Bestiaries

Merced North Bank near New Housing
(before New Housing!)

Merced, just Upstream from Stoneman Bridge,
Old Campground bank...






Rolled out to the Orange Coast College Swap Meet, and too over to the Orange County Fair Swap Meet...and to Michaels and Home Depot...looking at things for ideas....I think I have it what my final prototype frame will look like...for tomorrow...a post up and then a nap for now!...awhile back, in post where I quoted Two Years Before The Mast when Dana heard a 'melancholy owl' on a beach near Santa Barbara, I said I'd like to collect early observations of Wildlife...and too I've wanted to find early drawings and paintings of Fauna and Flora...the Otters and Kelp is one such...in the collection of Italian Old Master Drawings, I found another...see pic...it's from a pattern book, and in Medieval times, artists had pattern books, and the ones with just animals were called Bestiaries...and having found that word in my reading, I can now, I think, find a lot of early drawings and paintings of Fauna and Flora by searching: 'bestiary'....there are modern Bestiaries, some from stories, like Lord of the Rings, others from the games, like World of Warcraft...the drawing up has an appeal for me like the Otters and Kelp (see post yesterday)...thought to sketch it today, and maybe this evening...Swap Meet shopping is tiring!...

No comments: