Thursday, January 8, 2015

CedarHawk's Tree






















If one is to sell paintings, photos, art, one needs a business name, and casting about, I've chosen CedarHawk, and one of the first serious sit down and do it paintings I want to do is Red Shoulder Hawk I named Coop (thinking Hawk was Cooper's Hawk) sitting on a Cedar Tree Branch...(see old post, Oct. 24, 2007, Tree to Tree to Tree...)...and painting will be my logo....

Top pic is today's newsprint charcoal drawing...in studying the watercolor sketch...that day class did the Falls (yesterday's post) and the Trees just in front of Ansel Adam's Gallery...in studying the sketch, I had to figure out the Branch, what it was?, and it came back to me that I was trying to paint that curly cue branch on the Cedar Tree...I tried to capture it with the charcoal too...neither times very well!...tried to use eraser to pull out whites, but didn't like how that texture was different...I have the notion of it though...I'd taken the charcoal to where I was going to fill in the Tree, and thought, 'oh, wait, I can use a red sepia conte crayon'..and that really works!...charcoal sepia and white charcoal I remember from class go together really well...and it might be what I use to do Coop on Cedar Tree!...kinda hazy out today...did the laundry...layering colors is often used in painting...glazing in oils and acrylics, washes in water colors...thought in doing that is one can have a lot of tones, and even a translucent effect...I would 'layer' in the Valley on my walkabouts by revisiting spots, trying to deepen my sense of things...somewhat what I'm doing now by going over again the watercolor sketches...oh...Coop is on one of the Cedar's along the Road and Meadow across from the Chapel...

No comments: