Sunday, February 1, 2015

Sentinel From Creek's End



Overlap back...

and Overlap front...

before yarn...

first yarn wrap...


Too reflective!...curious to see
how Plascolite non glare this size will look...






























































Here's link to blog post I did about the evening I made the charcoal sketch...an anecdotalanotation!...11/19/07
I only did like a half dozen charcoal sketches while in the Valley, three on one day in the Art Activity Class...I've posted all of them before...and seeing how I've saved them all this time, I thought I better try to frame them...scavenged an 18"x24" piece of glass from the Dolphin photo frame (Dolphin will go in a new one I'll make--I won that pic in a raffle at a scuba diving meeting), and yesterday I picked up a 2 package of 18x24 canvas that's black, for some reason...the watercolor sketch was done at the time of the Art Activity Class sketches, it's in that notebook, but I think I was by myself...class never went out to opposite Creek's End on the Beach there...this is a famous photo spot...sunny blue warm...I got the miters best I could, considering the cedar wood used, but discarded them anyway, as too tight for yarn to go through...bit of a struggle to trim them back, ragged cuts...but it's a prototype!...I centered the cedar wood strips on the canvas edges so it overlaps both sides...still room for glass on front, and behind I can hide the black yarn with the usual paper backing that goes over the reverse of frames...black yarn I've settled on as the edging to use...I just made one wrap for the gap between glass and newsprint, set the glass over (some trouble here as cedar strips so out of true) and it nestled down fine over the paper...then put the glazing points in, needed for pieces of glass, but think I can do without if using the Plascolite (trouble with the pins as cedar strips out of true!)...doing the yarn, I started by tying a granny knot to one of the metal eye hooks, wrapped once, put the glass and points in, wrapped once more...one of the wraps caught on an eye hook by mistake, and so I have a pattern on the back!...something to consider!...big reason for liking the yarn, is that it has a fuzzy edge, and has self similar look to the charcoal when it smudges!...to finish off the yarn, I used a trucker tie down knot...this knot, and the glazing points, will always remind me of two things: all the stuff I tied down making deliveries at Disney maintenance, and my last day of work at Sequoia...I had a job in Sequoia for like three months in the Fall in the mid-seventies...was laid off when Winter season cut backs came...and I was in the Carpenter shop in Giant Forest repairing broken windows, just absolutely miserable to be leaving!

No comments: