Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Cathedral





I took a pastel pad and my pastels with to Tuolumne ('04?)...pastels go well with large drawings, and we would do big portraits in class at Palomar...but as one does smaller drawings with pastels, charcoal too, details become harder to do, and one can see in the Cathedral drawing, there isn't much detail...I haven't tried many small pastels...it's possible to do, and pastel pencils would help...sunny clear blue...rolled over to Staples after Denny's and got some Rubber Cement, but never opened it...while trying to take the sticky both side photo corners off the old photos, I was nearly tearing them, and I thought to take a photo of mine I had mounted with rubber cement off its backing, and couldn't, so will use neither the corners, or the the cement in future endeavors to frame photos!...after removing the corners, I put the old photos back in their box, and the box back on the shelf in the garage...for sometime...I kept looking at the Cathedral Pastel placed on the Blue Canvas, and thought to frame it...when I got to the point where I was to attach the drawing to the canvas, I was scratching my head...it doesn't fill up the canvas, so I can't use the rope border to hold it down...I needed to float it somehow...I've seen how this is done...cut two small slits in the backing, the canvas, put some archival tape down a bit on the back of the drawing, and thread some more tape to attach to that tape through the slits from the back...that...that's just too professional to go along with the homespun edging and rope, and I espied my push pins, and thought, 'they'll hold the drawing down, and give something for the plexi to rest on'...and did that, and it works fine...see pics!...floating the drawing the way I have is nice, as I can paint titles. and sign off on the border, or do lots of things on the borders, like a running painted design or pattern...the opportunity to paint designs or patterns is on the edging too...so maybe this is how I can proceed with framing, I thought, and did another with Bobcat...I purchased sawhorses rather than make them, but I still want to make a picnic bench, and really need it...one needs a big table to work on, where one can sprawl out all the tools and materials and be able to see and reach them...and not lose and forget where things have been set!...I need to put something over the pushpin pins sticking out in the back, like cork, and the plexi is so thin and flexible that it is bowing...glazing pins would hold it down, but want, if I can, to stay with the simplicity of just the rope holding the plexi in on top of the pins...problem is the pins are too tall and the rope can't seat inside the edging...looking on web for shorter pins, and there are just all kinds of things, like decorative carpet tacks...but they're too 'professional'...for that 'too tall' problem I'm going to try buttons next...can sew them down through the corners of the drawing or photo, and the plexi or glass can be made high enough for photos, and higher for charcoal and pastel drawing with bigger buttons...plexi isn't too good for charcoal and pastel, as it static clings the dust!..on both sides!...and tough to keep dust free...whole frame needs to be solid and sturdy enough for one to use a soft cloth to clean the plexi or glass...not there in that regard yet!











No comments: