Monday, February 2, 2015

Phoebe's Picture Frame




























Watercolor sketch is of Half Dome and Stoneman Bridge...sunny warm blue...I didn't sleep well, and I woke up in the wee hours thinking about the framing...if I could get the 'sandwich' (art paper, spacer, glass, decorative border) mounted without an edging like the cedar wood, I could use something else besides the cedar wood, anything at all really, for edging...that thought wasn't progressing, but I looked at other edge materials, and found climber's webbing at REI on the web (this at 3am!), and first thing after some sleep, rolled out to REI's mall...too early, so chocolate croissant and coffee at Starbucks next to B. Dalton...read Pastel magazine bought at B. Dalton--not a word about framing pastels...REI opened, and I bought the strapping and some thin rope--lost the rope somewhere, but not important, as the black yarn is working okay...on the way back, stopped at Anna's for ribbon, another idea for edge, but they sent me to Wal Mart...small roll of black ribbon and some Velcro from Wal Mart, thinking to attach the ribbon, or the webbing, with Velcro...stopped at the Dollar store just to look...see pic up of stuff puchased!...neat stuff at the Dollar store!...tenant attacked the weeds in the backyard with the neighbor's gardener, and while he was puttering around with lawn mower and weed wacker (what I should be doing!), I puzzled over the little dowels I'd gotten...and went ahead and drilled holes through the plexi and the black 18x24 canvas' corners...I couldn't do this if using glass...I thought maybe just the yarn wrapping around the dowels would hold the plexi, but that looked problematic...puzzled some more...O rings over the dowels!...or maybe just rubber bands for now to see if all this will work...wanted to get some 8x10 canvas art boards (thinking they are right size for photos, and dowel idea would work on them too)...so rolled to Michaels, with stop at Denny's for snack...a perspective on the rolling!: REI is in Huntington Beach, Anna's in Anaheim about, Michael's in Orange...a lot of back and forth!...oh, on return from Michael's, I stopped at Home Depot on Chapman (earlier had been to GG's Home Depot for plexi!), and looked for O rings...got some hard rubber washers...returned,  getting near sunset, and I drilled out the washers...got the drill bit through them, and then twisted them...drill bit the exact size of the dowels...twisting them made the washers just wide enough to slip snug on the dowels, ...assembled the sandwich, washers on the dowels snugged tight back and front...made just two spacer wraps with the yarn...didn't get to the webbing outside edge...not sure how to attach...and may opt for black blackout cloth, which has the same texture of the black yarn, which I like!!...when I drove for Disney Decorating Department, and the Techs, making deliveries, I saw a lot of blackout cloth used!...took a final pic of the frame with drawing, forgot to take pic of drawing unframed, thought I had one in an old post, but checked...I didn't mention the drawing in 9/17/07 post!...hmmph...I was trying to evolve a simplification of my charchoal drawing strokes, kinda like Picasso's Bull, in that drawing...Black Phoebe came by to looksee!
http://www.fastcodesign.com/3034240/how-apple-uses-picasso-to-teach-employees-about-product-design


4 comments:

Jeannette said...

glad you are framing som of your art...it deserves it. Check out garage sales for old frames///?

DavidDavid said...

yes...I can get 8x10 glass from the dollar store, that 8x10 non gloss plexi from Home Depot for $2.78...but bigger pieces I'll have to scavenge for the glass...and MisterArt has 18x24 clear (it has refections) plexi for under a dollar it looks like...have to order some and see...but Museum glass or plexi is way beyond...as are mitered corners...I'm just too clumsy...something dripped on the paper while working on the drawing between pic 4 and 2...and I just knocked it off the little easel, scratching the plexi a bit...but I put the hangers on, taped it all around the edges, so it's safe now up on the wall...and can be seen! :)

DavidDavid said...

yes...I can get 8x10 glass from the dollar store, that 8x10 non gloss plexi from Home Depot for $2.78...but bigger pieces I'll have to scavenge for the glass...and MisterArt has 18x24 clear (it has refections) plexi for under a dollar it looks like...have to order some and see...but Museum glass or plexi is way beyond...as are mitered corners...I'm just too clumsy...something dripped on the paper while working on the drawing between pic 4 and 2...and I just knocked it off the little easel, scratching the plexi a bit...but I put the hangers on, taped it all around the edges, so it's safe now up on the wall...and can be seen! :)

DavidDavid said...

$4.64 clear 18x24
$7.44 non glare 18x24
Plaskolite at MisterArt

Those are very good prices, I'd say, considering the plexi sheet I got at Home Depot today cost $19...I could use old frames, but then the wall would have a hodge podge of frames, and I couldn't sell old frames...need to have everything new, I'm thinking, for sales. And for my own walls, I'm partial to my home made frames!