Thursday, February 19, 2015

Owl's Cottonwood


















Class was set up with view across the Merced at Butterfly Flat, a muddy beach thereabout where Butterflies gather to get minerals, I think...not sure why Butterflies like damp mud...sunny hazy warm...in and out of sleep all night thinking how to make Trestle Tables and Farmer Tables...a major part of joinery are joints like mortise and tenon, and an assortment of slots. which are hard to make without the right tools and skills, but one way to mimic them is to use two or three boards arranged in a way that there is a slot, or a tenon...takes a lot of wood, but I made a bookshelf once, and used cleats for the rabbit joint, and then put a facing on to cover them up, and back and forth from sleep, I was arriving at how I did all that a long while back...anyway, I fiddled with the left over sticks from the garage shelves, and by using a three board arrangement for the pedestals, I think I can do it...I hoped to have a little model to show...but took all afternoon to find grid paper, and small sticks, and such...set up now to make scale models...miniature wood and wood tools are almost as expensive as full size!...easy to cut the little sticks with a pruning shears...watched youtubes yesterday of model houses framed just like full size, one made of popsicle sticks, where I got the pruning shears idea...for tomorrowmorrow my model Trestle Table!

No comments: