Sunday, September 11, 2016

OTI:three poems and notes:9/11/16

Open To Interpretation

Solomon Kane

Oh!
Solomon Kane,
Where did your avatar
Get those Black Glass Mirrors?

Regress

Mirrors mirrors
Face to face
Regressive race.

Labyrinth

Talking to himself Johnny:
Here I am
There I was
In this labyrinthian party.

DolphinWords

Notes: Solomon Kane...reference Robert E. Howard, pulp fiction author, creator of Conan The Barbarian...Howard had the contrary view that a barbaric world, as opposed to a civilized one, is the norm...hard to refute!...and hard to watch...hooked up to amazon video prime, free for a month, and clicked on the movie Solomon Kane...much mud, much rain, much blood...and there were these awful creatures that lived in standee mirrors that impressed...and set me off on a web search of mirrors and such in general...my conceit, I find, of 'black mirrors', the black glass surfaces of cell phones and lcd screens nowadays, was picked up and run with big time by...brb...Charlie Brooker who made a tv series called Black Mirror...which is on Netflix...I think I can snag a free month from Netflix, and maybe see some of these...episodes are touted as 'twilight zone like'...things come out of the black screens....which is what happens from the black mirrors in the movie Solomon Kane...don't know if they are in Howard's written stories...

quote

Charlie Brooker explained the series' title to The Guardian, noting: "If technology is a drug – and it does feel like a drug – then what, precisely, are the side effects? This area – between delight and discomfort – is where Black Mirror, my new drama series, is set. The 'black mirror' of the title is the one you'll find on every wall, on every desk, in the palm of every hand: the cold, shiny screen of a TV, a monitor, a smartphone."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mirror_(TV_series

...I'm about generic as one can be, I mean, I'm going on about dragons, so it don't surprise me seeing my conceits here and there...Regress...and I thought of 'mirror mirror  on the wall, who's the fairest of them all'...that uses a 'double word'...before, I've gone on about double words...'DavidDavid'...when I sign a drawing or painting, I put the second 'David' below the first, a mirror image...I have this thing about mirrors!...'double words' are what happen when you double a word...any word...'touch touch' my favorite example...it's hard to explain, but I see like a noun verb, or verb noun, pairing...and it's recursive, like mirrors face to face...infinity mirrors they're called when mirrors are face to face...or Gabriel's Horn...which is kind of ominous!...and there is something odd about us...our left sides mirror our right sides, for the most part...two of everything...and then there's identical twins...and using the notion, 'what's above is what's below' , I leapfrog into thinking everything is done with mirrors!...somewhere, at the tiny level of things...and, for goodness sake, I find in studying wiki's take on 'mirror', for the 'black mirrors', it is just so!...brb...

quote

Microscopic mirrors are a core element of many of the largest high-definition televisions and video projectors. A common technology of this type is Texas Instruments' DLP. A DLP chip is a postage stamp-sized microchip whose surface is an array of millions of microscopic mirrors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror#Televisions_and_projectors

unquote

...I haven't looked for awhile, but I follow the progress of optical biophysics...I wonder if there is link...brb...

quote

 Birds have been shown to have imitative resonance behaviors and neurological evidence suggests the presence of some form of mirroring system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neuron

hmmph...there's a lot...stumbled on 'mirror neuron'...got lost awhile in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles...Louis XIV...and the history of mirrors...I have about as much place in the journals of optical biophysics and such, as I do in the Sun King's house, and such...sometimes I break away from the guided tours...Labyrinth...and I got a bit lost in this reflective study of mirrors!...but it came to me, the recursive writing of the character in the movie The Shining, Jack Nicholson's...repeating is like mirroring...an endless loop is a kind of an 'infinity mirror'...I've only seen the movie, Stephan King authored the book...and I haven't seen it in awhile, but apparently, Johnny in the movie talks to the hotel in the hotel's mirrors...so, movie producer Stanley Kubrick is playing with the notion of mirrors, and something else...separate realities...and somehow in all this, I happen on something called the Mandela Effect...this happens when two people remember things differently, not because of being mistaken, but because things did happen differently...they each have a separate reality, a separate universe...hereabout, I looked up Mirror Mirror, an old Star Trek episode...it has this conceit...the transporter messed up and exchanges the Enterprise crew with another Enterprise crew in another universe...a mirror like duplicate with differences...not an identical twin!...that plot gets used a lot in science fiction...applying it to the everyday, as the Mandela Effect folk do, is fringe...from wiki's take on Labyrinth (not the movie), I learn that...brb...

quote

Labyrinth is a word of Pre-Greek (Minoan) origin, which the Greeks used for the palace of Knossos in Crete, and it is derived from the Lydian word labrys ("double-edged axe").[9][10] This was a symbol of royal power, which suggests that the labyrinth was originally the royal Minoan palace in Crete and meant "palace of the double-axe" (the suffix -nth as in Korinth).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth

unquote

...well, a 'double ax' is one ax mirrored by another...

quote

The labyrinth is the referent in the familiar Greek patterns of the endlessly running meander, to give the "Greek key" its common modern name. In the 3rd century BC, coins from Knossos were still struck with the labyrinth symbol. The predominant labyrinth form during this period is the simple seven-circuit style known as the classical labyrinth.

same

unquote

...I look for the calendar in the old myths, and art...the double ax could represent the old and new year...which is just, in one sense, the simplest, days getting short and days getting longer, summer mirrors winter...represented graphically, this looks like the 'meander', or the double ax...and I imaging labyrinths expand on this...they have something to do with passing of the seasons...there's a mirror aspect to the double ax, and too, to the meander...and maybe too, to the labyrinth...bumping into myself a bit as in the carnival house of mirrors!...

:):(:

DavidDavid

No comments: