Sunday, March 8, 2009

Fir Bear Climbing

















































Well...the time change was on my mind trying to wake up this morning...I wasn't sure what time it was!....and wasn't too eager to roll out of the bunk...and then tap tap tap on my window...

David, are you awake??
growwwllll.....sorta!!
Just saw Bear crossing the Road...bet he's on the way to the Creek!
Oh!....I'm up...I'm getting things together!....Thanks!!!


And I was....and out and about in a minute or two...it was my neighbor friend with the message....later I told him all about what I found..and with much thanks!!...

I went back to the Creek...and found the fresh track...so Bear was ahead...headed to Creek's End....and the Three Cedars (sometimes of late known as 'The Dining Room'...or...'The Boneyard')!!....and when I got to the Branch Right On The Trail...where I usually set up and the first spot with a clear view...I saw Bear aways out in the Clearing....the didgi was on the tripod...and I left it behind...I wanted most to get a pic with Bear's tags!...I went out aways, but no luck....but I knew there would be a track, so I could take some time, and retrieved the tripod....back out in the Clearing I found the track in the snow...'Very small feet!', I thought....and the snow was frozen and the prints barely indented...I followed it a bit...and then heard claws scratching on a big Ponderosa....and Bear was clambering up it!....a good thing, as now I knew where Bear was!!...Bear didn't like me there, and didn't like the Tree either!...and climbed down almost immediately...and I got the wonderful pics then with the new camera....once on the ground, Bear took no notice of me....I was quiet and still...and it was probably my footsteps that spooked Bear...I didnt have time to study the pics...and wasn't sure what Bear I was seeing...I made a wide swing and got ahead and was able to set up with a good vantage point...and Bear came along and posed eating grass and walking about...clip for sometime....and I could see it was Bear 9, Fir Bear....which made me very happy...and happy now that I can relate that the two playful Bears, Fir Bear and Rocky Slope Bear, I've seen myself...and it seems very likely, from my hiking friend's pic at Creek's End two days ago of Bear with one yellow tag...that Oak Bear is fine too!...all three Okay!!.now I can go back and watch my Bear movies of them......Bear wandered over to Ozone Beach...pic....and out towards Two Top Pine Meadow...I sorta lost the Track...with some effort I could have found it...but I'd been enough of a Bear Pest for one morning!....and Tourists were about on the Path too....so I looked at my watch...I had forty five minutes left...if I had the time right!...so I went over to the Rocky Slope...when I got to the Upper Falls trail head, I heard the Blue Jays sound an alarm...right by the Big Boulder!...I tried and tried to find what they were seeing, thinking it might be Bobcat...but no luck....I started on the Trail back towards Lower Falls...and came upon some Deer....I took some pics and clips...and heard a strange sound...a Buck, I thought...as the Deers' ears had perked up...but I couldn't locate...while filming, little bits of tree were falling on my head...I looked up...and saw a RedHeaded Sapsucker in the Cedar branches above.....I think that's it...anyway...I started taking a clip...and I heard the sound again...it can be just barely heard on the clip...I thought maybe it was Bear...and left off....and saw the Deer were really on the alert..see clip!!...and I started up the slope in the direction they were looking...not at all sure what I would find!...and up out of the Boulders, Bobcat lept through a bush...and growling!!!...see clip!...the clip of this is really short..and all jumpy!...that I got it at all is a kind of miracle!....and the Does appearing to see where Bobcat ran off too was very cool....this sequence of clips is what I really strive for with Fauna Flora....the blog is about the Fauna and Flora!....and when I can capture something about the Fauna's behaviour, I am very happy!....I include things here about the Valley...about my time here...but...well...it's things like the Doe lifting one leg and pointing...and the strutting steps of the Deer...and just how they are generally all jittery...it's stuff like that that I hope gets attention!!...a fine walkabout!...missed Breakfast..and didn't even notice...sunny blue cool...clouds above tonight and a full moon... I could have gotten some pics of Bobcat...but a couple photogs had appeared and were pursuing up the Rocky Slope...chattering away...in German...hmmph...campers and climbers have arrived at Camp 4....and a wild unsubstationable report of a Mountain Lion reaching out from behind a boulder as a hiker approached...taking a swipe at the hikers arm..this on the Mirror Lake horse trail...I think...oh...it's an impossible tale...but a caution when hiking off the main paths...especially in thick forests and boulders...is to stay alert...and make some noise too...my keys and pocket watch hang from a D ring on my camera pouch and jangle...wonder if the rock climbers ever use their teeth!!!

No comments: