Friday, March 6, 2009

Rocky Slope Bear And Bobcat






Paddled over to Lower Falls for the walk...with the determination to go left and along the Rocky Slope....when I crossed the Road, I saw the YIs all on top of the Grinding Stone Boulder....yesterday they got to the Trail before me...so I quickened my pace today!...least they all clamber down and get ahead...the Rocky Slope Trail is a great trail I'm finding to find critters!...but if hikers are ahead, they scare everything away...as one is hemmed in by the Boulders and Trees and a critter will either be seen close, or only heard!...anyway...no sooner than I started on the Trail than I came across Bear 41 (the Rangers, I learned today, give the Bears numbers rather than Names, least everyone make pets of them...)hmmmph....I came across Rocky Slope Bear!!...who was merrily tearing apart a log after grubs and insects...I set up the 12x on the tripod and started a clip....then...in self interest...so the YIs wouldn't clamber down and walk right into Bear...went over to the Boulder and told them where to look for Bear...they fell quiet...and were entranced!....this Boulder is very famous...kids have been climbing atop it for generations...I imagine not just modern ones...but ancient ones too....it was a special moment to see them looking out at Bear....I went back to the 12x...and tried for some pics with the new camera...very tough, as Bear was busy head down most of time...I was hearing Ravens...as I've heard them before when they're pestering Hawk or Owl...and I thought maybe Bear had another carcass...but then I heard 'Bobcat' from yet another group of YIs up the Trail...(three groups would eventually show up!)....and from the nearing calls of the Ravens, I knew Bobcat was coming, and there was no other way for Bobcat to go but between me and Bear and the kids on the Boulder!...and sure enough, that's what happened...see clip...I was able to get three good pics with the new camera...very lucky there was just enough light to stop most of Bobcat's motion....I wanted to follow Bobcat...but thought to stay with Bear...and good thing....along with some didgi close ups....and a few clips when Bear finally looked up with the 12x...I got a long clip that has in the Background the Ranger telling the whole story of Rocky Slope Bear and Bear Management...answering questions...oh...I forgot...the Rangers showed up too...geared up for Bear with the Noise Stick!....which they didn't see any need to use...everyone was keeping back...and Bear was happy with the termites...happy too, I picked up and went back to the Cabin...and was surprised I had a half hour left...I'd only been gone a half hour!...and thought to go to Creek's End with the time remaining...wished I had...my hiking friend, I learned later, went to the Three Cedars area and found Oak Bear snoozing under a Ponderosa!.....very cool...I reviewed the clips and pics...then off to work...later a report too from Shuttle Driver friend of seeing the two Creek Bears...cloudy cool..a fine Bear and Bobcat Day!!....for sometime, more of the Rocky Slope Bear clips...and the other two Bobcat pics...Bobcat looks a bit thin!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pics and video and a great story! that pic of bobcat is just awesome. He does look a little thin, but summer is coming. He'll be ok.

DavidDavid said...

Thanks Rhonda,

I dont know if Bobcat is a male or female...a thought I've had is Bobcat is a female...and has given birth not too long ago..which might explain the thinness...though Bobcats are slender...they look chubby in the winter hereabout with their winter coats...but I'm wondering if the Mystery Track was a baby Bobcat's...anyway!...thinking on all this I found a neat site:
http://www.wildernesscollege.com/bobcat-tracks.html

David