Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Month And A Day


















Out and about before Sunrise, and after hopping on Bus Route 43, my Bus Pass wouldn't pass...the robot female voice spoke, "Your pass is invalid" or some such...usually a little green light flashes and a friendly sounding "beep"...but no, I'd suddenly joined the ranks of the drivers' annoyances!..."it's good 'til the 14th", I said showing the pass, this after several repeated passes through the slot, and one down the down slot, and the driver shrugged, and I took a seat...I worried over this all the way down Harbor, 'the pass must work until it expires!'...when one first uses a monthly pass, the machine stamps a beginning day, and an expiration day...my beginning day was July 14, 2014, and I thought I'd seen the expiration day as August 14, 2014...'today's the 13th" I'd said to the driver...for sure it should be okay...I wasn't sure about the 14th, if it ended then, or went through the 14th...I was turning these thoughts over in my head, and finally had a look at the pass...oh, expiration on the 12th, which was yesterday (and indicates pass is good through the expiration day!)...I'm a fool...figured this out (oh many times I've figured this out!) waiting on the bench for 47 or 55, the next link to the Beach...I could see my mistake...there were two 14s above and below, the years which I had thought the days, and predisposed to a count of 30 days, picturing months as equal, like 10 20 30 etc., which of course they're not, but thinking the bus system did, and went from same day one month to same day next month, but no, that wasn't it at all, it expired the 12th, and, so, so, my quest line finished yesterday, which is okay! as it was a fine day to end the quests on!...I even brought home yesterday some fine "achievement" loot, the mentioned Kingfisher photo print, and the Dolphins tile, and too, a small plush toy Seal! "Quest Line?!" one might ask here, "what's that?!" Oh, I didn't explain this back at the start, didn't want to jinx the whole effort...the Bus Pass lay in my mail inbox for a long while, and I never had used it, and I thought it was no good, but in studying it one day, realized it just needed to be activated, and it would be good for thirty days...so, so, I thought to make a quest line of it, and ride the Buses for thirty consecutive days!...thought was to go all over Town, all the compass points, but on the first trip to Balboa Pier I was charmed by the pic of fisherman holding a fish, and thought, "I'll add that, everyday get a pic of a fisherman holding a fish. It's like the dream." "Dream!!?" one asks.  I dreamed of a fish awhile back, one that looked sorta like the one in the Doheny clip, Perch like fish, and over its head was a yellow explanation point!   In World of Warcraft the Quest Givers have Yellow Explanation Points over their heads.  Clicking on them, they speak up with a window telling of the task(s), and one accepts, and off one goes! So I made a quest, actually two quests, or tasks: ride the bus for thirty days, and get the fishermen with fish pic, and actually these are like two Dailys, Daily Quests, they're Blue Explanation Points, and, well, one gets the notion...and it was all foolish, but, but, actually kinda worked out!...much fun...scary sad and a lot of other things too...I'm wondering if I gained any rep with a faction!...I'm sure Nat Pagle didn't give a hoot...but heck with his hat, I'd say!...having sorted this all out, and sitting on the Bench waiting for 47 or 55, I got five bucks ready for a day pass, and 55 came and I paddled out to Crystal Cove...hoped much to see Osprey, but there weren't even many Seagulls or Pelicans...just a few, and usual Pipers...Phoebe about, clip for sometime, and on approach, Rabbit pic...Tide was out, tried for Tide Pool pics, but only tried...cant get a handle on how to take them yet...cloudy overcast warm clearing when I got home...oh, Dolphins far out, second visit too, last two times too far out for pics or clip...I need a leaping Dolphin pic, Dolphin vertical out of the water...:)

No comments: