Saturday, August 16, 2014

Bait
















Yesterday Late Afternoon, rolled out to Newport Pier, and thinking there are stores right there, to purchase Bait...and at the Pier, I joined the circling throng of Cars trying to find a metered parking spot, and only went around once, and so diverted to Balboa Pier, where I was certain there was metered parking like Evening before, and every visit I've made there really...free parking along the streets at either Pier is all taken up, and I wonder how residents park!...there is a stretch of street sides mid-way between the Piers that had open free space slots, and lots of metered slots, but it's a long walk from thereabout!...once parked at Balboa, I learned there was Bait for sale at Davey's Locker, and paddled there, small ice chest in hand...$5 dollars for a small box of Squid, which I put in the chest, where it even looked smaller...hmmph...thought to get a hot dog at my favorite vendor, the little window store where the car ferry docks at the Island...dollar to ride across...and the store was closed, it being near Sunset now...Kayakers pic thereabout on return to Peninsula...another dollar...and a hot dog at the corn dog store where the Ferry docks thereabout!...well, by now the impulse to put line in the water was fading with the fading light, but I did walk out to Pier's End to looksee...a real crowd thereabout!...one fisherman's wife all tangled up in his jig while she was unhooking his fish--Mackerel...dodging this, I stepped on another's Pole just laying on the cement...many Mackerel being caught, and a festive atmosphere!...this too all along the Pier, and back at the Balboa Fun Zone--couples and families strolling, buying tickets for the evening Harbor Cruise...the Peninsula is kind of unique, restaurants and bars all crowded, everyone walking, and on one side is the open expanse of the Bay, and on the other the very big open expanse of the Ocean--Nature on either side...sunny blue warm...adding up the expenses, I've gathered that just getting a line into the water is expensive!...Squids still frozen when I got home, and on reading the packaging, I surmise one can eat "bait" Squids...stored bait Squids in the freezer...and I realize the fishermen saving little fish caught, rather than being tossed back, are being saved for bait...and for sometime a report on the web reading I did on baits this Morning!

No comments: