Thursday, August 28, 2014

Wedge Wednesday





















Tuesday at the Wedge, I couldn't get the 70-300mm DO lens to extend..knew that day was coming, as it's been snagging ever since I got it...four or five years ago!...set on the rebel T1, it's my favorite camera...it's been time a long time for the repair shop...but...but...on Wednesday Morning, before sunup, and on two hours sleep, I took the lens out of the pack, and tried one more time...and the lens like fell open to full extension!...hoorray!...and off I rolled to Balboa, found parking near the bay side fishing dock again, and peddled over to the Wedge, via the Alley...when the whole world sorts itself out, everyone will have alleys like this one!...at the beach, a crowd was already gathering...I took a couple pics and clips with the D10, and then tried to think through how to take pics and clips...not enough light for clips, as the auto focus would lag when zooming...for later when more sunlight, I thought...so set the 300mm to 1600iso and 250ss, then 400iso and 1600ss...and took a lot of pics...when the sun came up, first over the foothills, and then over the jetty, splashing on the surfers and waves, the lighting was fine...the pics are very soft (blurred), but have a kinda pastel look, which I like, and there's 643 of them!!!...reviewing them on the little camera screen, I thought them not much to keep, for printing and such I mean...but when I downloaded them to the computer, opened them in windows pictures, clicked on 'do slide show', which has the ken burns effect--panning and moving in and out very slowly, the 643 pics are a marvel!!!...and I don't know how to present them, it would take forever to process them for youTube, which I started to try, and I don't think I can get just the same sorta ken burns effect that windows does...and right now there are a lot of eager surfers and onlookers browsing youtube for Wednesday Wedge pics...and more than likely one of the 100s of photogs will put up their 643 still pics, so I guess I shouldn't fret...but mine all together viewed on the big lcd screen linked to my computer are really really cool!...thought is I can copy them to thumb drives or discs and just tell folk how to open them in the windows slide show...anyway, as the sun came up, and more light, I started to take clips with the 50x...Tuesday, I had been able to kneel down at the edge of the berm, and the clips were okay, but Wednesday, with so many onlookers, I had to stand, and dodge between everyone, and I don't even think I have one clip I like, least wise not like the pics earlier...I went back in the evening after a nap at home, parked on Balboa Island this time, and took the Ferry across, and peddled to the Wedge along the now familiar route--Alley was full of bicyclists and walkers...and there were thousands at the beach!...tried to use the slik tripod, put the 50x on it, extended it full height like a periscope, but I took even fewer keeper clips than in the morning...oh..in the morning, I took a break and went back to the Pier...breakfast at Ruby's...surf was sometimes splashing on top of the Pier...back to the evening: I knew I wasn't getting good clips, but waited for the Sun to go down behind the Lifeguard Tower for another sunset pic...pic up...picked up and peddled back to the Ferry...there had been a line of bicyclists and walkers to wait behind before coming over from the Island, and there was an even longer line going back!...bike handlebars have a cup holder, and I sipped on a strawberry smoothie while waiting...forgot where exactly I parked Silver, and no lights on the bike, so strolled a bit around the Island, and happy finally to put the bike up on Silver's rack...and glad to get back to my bit of Town...the tract my home is in has always been a kinda quiet oasis to come back to!...pohono...sunny clear hot...next big Wedge day, I'll take along four five gallon buckets, fill them with sand...stand on two, and put the tripod up in the others...should be able to see then!..."it's like all the tall folk want to stand in front of me..." ..it's tiny to see, but in the sunset pic the photog at the center about is standing on a step ladder...for clips and pics by others go to youtube, and put this search in the search box: wedge Newport august 27 2014...and maybe this link will do just that:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wedge+newport+august+27+2014

No comments: