Friday, August 1, 2014

Abalone Fishhooks






















Route 43 South to Route 66 East, and hopped off at Main and First thinking Bowers Museum was right there...bit off...Museum is 2002 N. Main, and I was at 200 S. Main...hmmph...long walk through Downtown, mini cinnamon bun and coffee at Burger King along the way...Indian exhibit used to have displayed more Indian fishing gear, I seem to remember, but I'm content with the fishhooks...the Cogwheel exhibit has been updated with an explanation that the stone objects that look like gears had something to do with the Ocean...I think once there was plaque that said they may have been fishing net weights, which makes sense, as they really do look like sea anemones, starfish, and fish bone vertebrate, which the plaque now suggests...brb...

quote

Known as cog stones or cogged stones, these archaeological materials have been found throughout the Southern California area with large deposits found along the Santa Ana River valley.
http://bowersmuseum.blogspot.com/2008/01/objects-of-week-cog-stones.html

unquote

cool....Bowers has a blog!

further quote
The cogged stones may have been 'anchor' stones for coastal fishing nets. An example of this can be found in book: "Indian Fishing: Early Methods on the Northwest Coast" By Hilary Stewart (scroll up & down for pix)

http://books.google.com/books?id=fudyXm4KMpQC&lpg=PA79&ots=m-LR8MHjSk&dq=indian%20fishing%20nets&pg=PA87#v=onepage&q=indian%20fishing%20nets&f=true
 
unquote
 
If that time stamp is today, that comment was posted nearly the same time I was contemplating the wheels!
 
next to the wheels were the Basket Hats, which only women wore....not much good for shade, but very neat...brb...
 
quote
 
Basket Cap
Women's caps were made and worn in several regions of California. In general, the cap protected the head from chafing caused by the tumpline of a burden basket.
 
unquote
 
oh!...and besides being beautiful, they were utilitarian...
 
traveled light today, just the D10 along, which fits in my pocket, along with my iphone...in my back pocket a pocketbook book to read: Medieval Myths by Norma Lorree Goodrich...a couple days back, I was in the GG Library book store, looking again for a paperback Tom Sawyer, no luck, and sighted this Myth book, 25 cents, and inside the story of Peredur, a medieval story of a Knight...towards the end of the Deerslayer story, Deerslayer slays two Huron Indian with one musket ball...well, on finding this story, I find two things!...one is that James Fenimore Cooper modeled Deerslayer, and that story, on Peredur, and some elements of Peredur's story...and the second thing is the story of the Fisher King...Deerslayer for sometime soon, but let me go on about the Fisher King!
 
when in school, we were assigned to read T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land, and I tried...I can't understand it, cant say I even much like just the sounds and images and such, but in reading it, I found the footnotes and such in the back...I'd never seen a writer footnote their own obtuse meanings!...and I latched on to something, a misreading of Fisher King for Kingfisher,  and I thought, 'oh, a way into this poem is to understand the natural behavior of Kingfishers'....at the time, I'd never seen Kingfisher in person, but anyway, what is a way into the Wasteland poem is an understanding, inkling might be better word, as I don't know if anyone understands the whole story, but what is way in is the story of the Fisher King....wiki has a take, and lists some of the writers and artists that have used the Fisher King story... https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=126979308348410557#editor/target=post;postID=2141658394239408989...
I don't much like wiki's take, but I squirreled away the notion of Kingfishers being a motif in poems, and a few semesters after reading Eliot and such, I happened on Robert Graves, and his book's long take on the Fisher King (The White Goddess)...there's no Kingfisher birds in that book either, but plenty of other things...I carried it about for years, not being able to understand it, but fascinated by all the names and tales...now, with the web, I can track down the books Graves was reading from, but then, finding just the Mabingion was problematic...and I have my own way of understanding things, and that's to kinda paraphrase a story....There is a King who through some tragic event has abandoned his kingdom, and in his absence the kingdom falls into ruin...to set things back to right, Knights from the kingdom go on a quest to find him and restore his rule, and so the Kingdom to prosperity...now, just awhile ago, I thought to see why Eliot footnoted Kingfisher, and when I googled this, discovered my error, that he was footnoting Fisher King....for some reason, the King that has left his kingdom, will be found fishing somewhere, a clue the questing Knights have to go on....when Peredur finds him, the King's valets are fishing...
 
quote
 
Peredur rode forth until he came to a vast wasteland.  There on the edge of the wilderness he found a pond on the other bank of which was a tall castle, surrounded by a massive rampart.  By the edge of the water, he found a white-haired man on a cushion of gold brocade.  His valets were fishing from a rowboat.
p59
Medieval Myths
unquote
 
well, a suggestive sketch of the Fisher King is about all I can manage...lemesee if I can find that footnote...brb....it's number 46...
 
quote
 
46. I am not familiar with the exact constitution of the Tarot pack of cards, from which I have obviously departed to suit my own convenience. The Hanged Man, a member of the traditional pack, fits my purpose in two ways: because he is associated in my mind with the Hanged God of Frazer, and because I associate him with the hooded figure in the passage of the disciples to Emmaus in Part V. The Phoenician Sailor and the Merchant appear later; also the 'crowds of people', and Death by Water is executed in Part IV. The Man with Three Staves (an authentic member of the Tarot pack) I associate, quite arbitrarily, with the Fisher King himself.
 
unquote
 
hmmph...Eliot was given to paraphrasing what he didn't understand too!...which has led to the literary mosh pit of all mosh pits!
 
on that site's page, is a commentary on Eliot's footnotes, the author saying they are as important as the poem....something I noticed when reading the story of Peredur today is how the chapter titles, and the disjointedness, it's a collection of vignettes, resembles the way Eliot put together his poem...how I read Kingfisher the bird into that footnote is beyond!...but nonetheless...
 
quote
 
Kingfishers usually hunt from an exposed perch, when a prey item is observed the kingfisher swoops down to snatch it, then returns to the perch. Kingfishers of all three families beat larger prey on a perch in order to kill the prey and to dislodge or break protective spines and bones. Having beaten the prey it is manipulated and then swallowed.[
 
 
 
unquote
 




















sunny hot blue....the Museum has many fine exhibits, and I found myself in the Malaysian exhibit, contemplating the weapons of the New Guinea cannibals, and felt the unease I feel looking at the tools of surgeons and dentists from the 1800's!







 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: