Monday, October 6, 2008

Chapel Bridge Deer
























































When I got to the Riprap this morning there were Does and Fawns...two sets I think of Mama Does and Two Fawns!...followed them out to Creek's End...where they crossed the Merced...thought to try the neoprene slippers to cross the River...ouch ouch ouch...have to find some other use for them!...I went along Lodgepole Point...pausing for the too quick for pics little birds...and then across Chapel Bridge...where I thought to catch up with the Deer...but they were gone from sight!...continued along the Merced to Sentinel Bridge..oh...a quick check of the Sugar Maple...leaves still not turned....at Mergansers' Log I took really neat pic of a Mallard pair swimming...for sometime....then over to the Post Office where I met a friend for lunch...and a talkabout...morning started out with a talkabout too at Breakfast...these two friends are both leaving...migrating, I'd say!...they just come for the Summer season...one to work...the other gets to walkabout Tuolumne all summer!...hope I can do that too sometime!!...anyway...took the Shuttle to Siberia...checked Stoneman meadow for Three Fawns...then took the Shuttle back to the Village...heard tale of Hawk in the Calavaras Big Trees...."It was ten feet away..and wouldn't move!".."More like six!" "And the camera wouldn't work"..."You were lucky!", I said, "just seeing Hawk perched like that!"...Shuttle driver told another Hawk story..."It had it's prey in its beak...sitting on the yellow sign at Sunnyside...it looked like the one last year that was around Last Chance." 'It was like Zeke, I thought, a Redtail...and likely the one I heard as this happened on the same rainy day.'....from the Village I paddled out through Cook's and started to make the Big Loop at Chapel Bridge....but just as I started I saw one of the 'sets'...Mama Doe with two Fawns....so I found them after all!....and had a good photo session!...the sunlight comes right into the Valley this time of year in the afternoon....and the air being clear, it is very very bright....picked up and continued the Big Loop....took pic of TwoTop...and clip to show how I use the lcd view finder to gauge exposure...had Dinner at Last Chance...then out to Owl Log...watched Halfdome turn pink...an Ouzel singing...a Flicker's calls...sunny....cool to warm...and veryvery blue!...Oh...the pic of the Two Does with ear perked up looking back was taken by the Bikepath along Owl Woods near Room's for rent...I tried to pick each pic for lighting...all of them toghether a kinda study of light...

No comments: