Sunday, October 26, 2008

Northern Flicker







Went out back and waited for Flicker to show up...took awhile...waited some more after I got these pics...but picked up and went to Creek's End...and then out to Cook's and back along the road...quiet walkabout....sunny warm and blue...turned the heat off in the Cabin!...have to back up and find the Redheaded Woodpecker's name!...Rednapped Sapsucker....but this time the whole of it's head is red...have to check the book!...Oh!...it's a Redbreasted Sapsucker...one I haven't seen before!...the Woodpecker I called a Red-napped Sapsucker back in September might be one of these too...I might spend a lot of time at the Dogwoods in the Backyard tomorrow!!
Well..I surfed about a bit with some new searchwords...found some good Valley stories...I was trying to find where Kenneyville was!....as that's to be the start of tomorrow's 'transit'...I'm trying to repeat the following census walk of Oct. 23...
quote:
YOSEMITE VALLEY, 4000 feet, Transition Zone, forest, chaparral and riparian associa tions; October 25, 1915, 2:35-5:35 P.M.; afternoon to late duck of evening; weather clear; distance traveled about 6 miles, from old Presidio along north road to Kenneyville, to Camp Curry, to village, to Presidio, then to Ahwahnee footbridge and return.
American Sparrow Hawk
1
Audubon Warbler
6
California Pigmy Owl
3
American Dipper
2
Western Belted Kingfisher
2
Sierra Creeper
2
Willow Woodpecker
1
Short-tailed Mountain Chickadee
1
California Woodpecker
6
Western Golden-crowned Kinglet
11
Red-shafted Flicker
4
Western Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1
Blue-fronted Jay
12
Hermit Thrush (Alaska?)
2
Golden-crowned Sparrow
1
Western Robin
10
Sierra Junco
12
Western Bluebird
23
Total: species 18, individuals 100.
unquote
Kenneville looks to have been about where Three Arch Bridge is...Old Presidio I'm guessing is the Soldiers Camp...which was just over there by Lower Falls!...duck is suppposed to be dusk I imagine!...and I'll do this walk in the morning...evening is Owl Prowl time!!
Well...I want to nail down where the 'Old Presidio' was...but search is skewed by the one in SF....in the search the tale of the Tunnel View renovation turned up...some cake left over from the festivities turned up at Last Chance...we gorged!....link:http://sfgate.info/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/24/MN9713N2MR.DTL&type=living
I cant figure out Grinnell's directions...I'm guessing the walk went from Lower Falls out to Three Arch Bridge and from thereabouts to Curry...then back to the Village...but then it's murky...somehow back to the Presidio...and an Ahwahnee footbridge...where was that!?..and 'return' where??...oh...it's not a very good census!! I'll start out with Lower Falls at Noon...Sentinel at Six...and Half Dome at Three Thrity...or so!...which should put me at the Tiki Palace Picnic Tables!!

No comments: