Friday, October 24, 2008

Cottonwood Heron
























Sometimes it comes over me how remarkable it is I even find these critters....if today I'd gone to the Deer House instead of Creek's End...but then I'll never know what was about at the Deer House today!...as I spent the entire walkabout, wading sometimes waist deep in the Merced, going tree to tree to tree with Blue Heron....first tree was the leaning pine over Crawdad Point (west side of Creek's End)....which I think I'll now call Heron Point!...pic of Heron in this pine was taken from Lodgpole Point...clip too...Heron walks back into the tree on a branch and disappears...when I sneaked over under it.. I looked..and looked...I hadn't seen Heron fly off...finally I saw a foot!...I had been about to give up and pick up...but realizing Heron was resting deep in the tree near the trunk..which blocked my view...I waded out into the Merced....with some concern I'd take a bath with everything!...anyway..startled, Heron picked up and flew over to where I'd just been!...and took a perch in the Lodgpole...pics of Heron flying...so I waded over there...got a neat Mallard pair pic on the way!...when I finally got there...much concern the noise and big ripples would startle Heron...Heron...was startled again!.... and flew off down to the Cottonwood...and posed beautifully..and posed and posed..I took a hundred pics!..well..they're doubled...jpeg and raw...and filled a card up with clips...high in the Cottonwood...with Lost Arrow as backdrop...Heron was unperturbed....I was tromping all over on the gravel....after the pics and clips...I wanted a flying pic...and shouted out..."Fly!..Fly!"...and flapped my arms!...but to no avail...coulda tossed a river stone...but that's over the top!...worktime came...and I picked up....Heron still sunning...the flying pic will happen...oh...and I got another tongue pic...the continuous shoot mode captures the critters in odd poses...often with their tongues out...Heron has quite a tongue!...sunny warm and blue...the river water is cool!

No comments: