Monday, July 27, 2009

Falcon And Hawk









Mars was in the sunrise sky between North Dome and Half Dome...sat awhile in Bobcat Meadow...waiting for some sunlight...sky very clear and dark!....with some light, continued out through Chapel Meadow to Swinging Bridge...thought I heard Kingfisher...but maybe Ouzel...was almost across Two Top Pine Meadow when first sunlight touched Eagle Peak....a few birds, Ravens, Creepers, Juncos, Hairy Woodpecker, along the way..and one Buck back at CAD Beach....crossed the Meadow and Road, and at the foot of Rocky Point, thought to pursue the idea I had....Falcon had perched in a Snag the morning when I just recorded Falcon's call...and I put an idea in Sometime to go up the Slope above the Snag before Sunrise and just wait...maybe Falcon would perch there again....so, with this in mind, I scrambled up the Talus...lots and lots of loose sharp rocks!...Hummingbird along the way..clip and pic...almost a clip of Hummingbird hovering, back lit by the sunrise, looking me over...but too slow with the camera !...almost got to the very top of the Talus, and found a rock to sit and wait...tremendous view of the Valley from this vantage....but bright morning sun blocking out much of the scenic pics I took...and clip too...as Falcon arrived, almost on schedule...a little later than last times...and perched in the foreseen Snag...I was all thumbs...took a handheld clip and pics with the 20x...then pics with the new camera...but I'm way far away...I could have been closer, but got into my head to reach the top of the Talus which took me away from the Snag...but then again, being so far away, I didn't disturb Falcon....and Falcon was posing, and I had time to get the digi set up....and I used the waterproof, and forgot the way to keep it in focus, so was bedeviled with it going in and out of focus...I was all thumbs!!...I tried to adjust..and the long clip I have is a jumble...and disappointing...in a kind of panic...I set the camera to still mode...and got two pics..the one above...and realizing I had finally found the focus and composition...thought to switch to movie mode....and Falcon flew off!...oh..I was disappointed...but pleased that I had the two pics...and the blurry clips are still a treasure!....it was a remarkable place to be in the Valley in the morning...and Falcon a wonder!!...I sat a bit longer..then packed up and started down with hands free...coming up, I had the 20x on the tripod at the ready...and stumbled, using the camera to brake!...and it almost broke...snapped it back together, and it's okay!...coming down, I heard some short length piping calls, and looking up saw two Falcons skirting the Wall...got some pics with the new camera...one up is one....lost sight of them way high on the Wall...and continued down the Talus, and grateful to reach bottom, out of the sun into the shade, and off the loose rocks!...it was getting warm, and near the time for the Hiker's Bus to leave...thought was that if I had time, I'd catch the Bus to Tuolumne..and I just made it!....got donuts and orange juice at Crane Flat...no Bears..just two signs!..hmmph...napped some....I just dont fit in bus seats...and at the Meadows got a full Breakfast at the Grill...showed my Falcon pic to the cook, a friend from Last Chance...in fact, was showing everyone my Falcon pic!...anyway...very sleepy on Marmot Road out to 1915 Bridge...Marmots all in their burrows....lots of Pins about though!...at the Bridge, I heard Hawk's call back the way I came!...just too tired to pursue, I crossed over the River and found a shady spot out in the Meadow...a Bluebird of some sort was hovering in the air, and finding bugs, and then perching atop a small Lodepole, consistently!...so I set up nearby..and got some good pics and clips!...for tomorrow!...there were quite a few tourists about....and I felt a bit conspicuous surrounded by my gear!...but I relaxed, and got some pics of another new bird...for tomorrow too!...and then, as it happens in the Meadows...over head in the Magnificent Blue Sky, Hawk was just there, soaring, in wide arcing circles....and the sky had big dark underneath puff clouds...with the new camera I got some pics...one up...Redtail Hawk...and molting it looks like...Hawk flew right over head, and out of sight over by Lembert Dome...oh!...a Two Hawk Day!!, my thought!..I went back to the Bluebird, and got some pics of Bluebird hovering with the new camera shooting continuous...very neat pics!...for tomorrow too!....made it back to the store in time for the Bus...and back the way I came!...with another snooze in the impossible seat.....clambered out of the Bus at Last Chance...and to the Cabin and sleep...with a delay for lunch..hotdog, nachos, and soda....a long long on the go morning!!....light was gone from Half Dome when I woke up...but went out to Creek's End to listen...but quiet...pic of the fading light on the River...sunny hot blue...but pleasant in Tuolumne when the Clouds would roll over with their shade...even a few raindrops...but very sunny hot blue back in the Valley!!!...report of Mountain Quail..two families...on the Trail down from Sunrise...kinda cool to have friends in the High Camps to hear reports from!!....oh....a caution: Rocky Point is an active rock fall area, on a par with the Ledge Trail...and the Falcons not to be disturbed... I'm wondering how long they've been there...and if recent, if because North Side Drive was closed during Winter and Spring....

Blog of the Day

http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/2009/07/yosemite-amazes-me.html

No comments: