Monday, July 13, 2009

Morning Falcon




Out and about early...wanted to get to Two Top Pine Meadow before the morning sunlight...but soon as I started along the Path, heard Hawk calling at Creek's End...went to check...but just the one call...I did see Big Wings in the Deer House Oaks yesterday...got my boots and socks wet wading the Creek to go looksee...this was just after Owls view...kept along the Merced, and did make it to Two Top, and stood out in the Meadow near Beaver Bend...waiting for the Falcons' calls...but quiet....took some Flower and Grasses and scenic pics...light is great in the morning...photogs ask me where to go for Sunrise in the Valley....tell them now, Two Top, not to see the Sun, but to see the Light!...anyway...I crossed the Road disconsolate, and started back along the Rocky Slope....and then behind me, heard the calls...back I went to Falcon Point and set up at the base of the Talus Slope...and waitedwaited....before long the Two Falcons came, way up high on the Rim...clip...and when the 20x unfocused, I took pics with the new camera....tiny blurry...but Falcons!....happy to see Falcon, I picked up, their calls fading down the Valley, and was on the Trail aside the Rocky Slope...and heard the familiar scolding of Blue Jay...and caught the tiniest glimpse of Bobcat...then a longer one...and finally got ahead and situated for just a short clip...but kinda neat!...Bobcat has a predictable route along the Slope...question is when!?...that's sorta true of all the Critters...almost saw Bobcat some more, but continued on the Trail, and in kind of a hurry for a seven thirty appointment to go up to Glacier and hike the Pohono Trail... was an hour late, and after Breakfast, my gracious neighbors, one, my hiking friend, to hike the Trail with me too, used two cars to arrange the hike....way this works: park one car at Tunnel View, and the second for Transport to Glacier Point...or some arrangement like this!...we actually stepped off at Sentinel Parking lot...so it was like an eleven mile hike...saw lots of Flowers, best time of year we think for Flowers on this Trail...two Bears..clips... heard a third...Butterflies, Ants (special request for the ant clip...put it up tomorrow)...lots of scenics, as the Trail jogs out to each of the Points along the way...and between us, we saw seven Falcons!....didn't do to well getting pics and clips of Falcon...for tomorrow, what I have...didn't help that I sat on the 3x, and discombobulated it a bit...it was in my back pocket...convenient for the Flower pics...sigh...oh...and a Frog in one the Creeks, but too slow for pic....it was very hot, and I was very tired!...all week the sleep debt has been huge....but I made it okay without any nausea...my usual worry on hot uphill hikes..but there wasn't much uphill...but there is some!!...and I wouldn't do this Trail the opposite way...Trail ends up at Tunnel View, where, what with the traffic noises, makes for a jarring contrast to the quiet air over the Valley as experienced from the Rims....well, almost quiet...the twowheelers were potatopotatoing....the Falcons were a real treat, and much thanks to my hiking friend for locating one perched in an old snag...pics are blurry, pics are tiny, but they're Falcons!...and for tomorrow!...sunny hot blue...a fine day of two Walkabouts!...highest highlight was seeing two of the Falcons go into their dives...I was too slow for pics...oh...the mosquitoesmosquitoeing....

No comments: