Monday, July 6, 2009

Peregrine Falcon And Owls











Woke up early...Dawn Chorus outside...it's gotten to be a small chorus...a few Blue Jays, a few Robins...nonetheless, always pleasant to hear...geared up, with the thought to go out to Two Top Pine Meadow, where I haven't been for a few days, and started out with a swing to Creek's End... in Owl Woods though, I found all three Owls almost immediately...and I had both tripods with...set them up, the digi on one, the 20x 0n the other...and it kinda works....Fledgelings were curious!...to start, both were together, but one flew off after just a few seconds of clip...then Mama Owl flew out from right over my head and off to a far Cottonwood...but one Fledgling remained...the pics up...and I have clips too....for sometime...picked up, and did go to Creek's End...then back along the Merced out to Two Top....very pretty when I got there with the morning light...much like the Solstice Morning post up....and way in the distance, out beyond the Broken Cottonwood, and in the Tree Line along the Merced, I saw three Big Wings..and when I heard them call too...exclaimed...in my thoughts as I do!...Hawks!!...I didn't run...but kept the Trees where I last saw them always in view...and went out the Use Path...I still had both tripods set up (one carried in each hand!)...and when I got to the Broken Cottonwood, I set up the 20x for a wide view, on the chance the Hawks would fly out of the Trees, while I tried to sneak up with the new camera...the digi I just left....being just keen to get a still, and to do that needing the quickness of the new camera....the 20x recorded me going ahead, and one Hawk flies out...and I tried to sight with the new camera...but no luck...oh!!!...I forgot...before all this, one of the Hawks had flown right towards me...and I tried to sight it with the 2ox still on the tripod...this is the backpacking pod and very light...but it was an impossible kind of effort..and I had the camera at chest level...and I watched Hawk fly a circle over head around me in the Magnificent Blue Sky...and could see by it's swept wings it was a Falcon...a Peregrine Falcon, my thoughts exclaimed!!....so it was with much anxiety that I was sneaking up!...I had no luck on this effort, the pics with the new camera were just sky and rock, the Hawk I tried to sight flying off all the way to Rocky Point....and the clip shows me walking back...disconsolate...I gathered up the pods, and went ahead, as the Use Trail goes along the Merced, with the hope of maybe a Hawk still in the Trees....and there was...Hawk went Tree to Tree...and I was able to get two pics with the 2ox..one zoomed...blurry..Hawk was far away...but I've never seen Peregrine!....blurry is just fine!!...now way ahead of me, Hawk flew even further, all the way around Beaver Bend....I was hopeful, as I could hear Hawk calling...and I'm wondering if the three Hawks I saw, were all Peregrines, because the sound I was hearing was like Red Shoulder Hawk...I recorded the call a couple times...for sometime...I went around the Bend, and downriver along the Trail aways, the call leading me...last I heard Hawk, Hawk was somewhere across the Road up in Rocky Point....I would have kept pursuing, but was really tired....and hungry...so paddled back along the Rocky Slope to Lower Falls..and to Last Chance for Breakfast, and to the Cabin for sleep!...woke up around one, downloaded the pics and clips...very happy to see it is Peregrine in the pics when I checked the books...and Shuttled over to the Village for lunch...and Shuttled back to the Cabin for more sleep!....but Heavy Metal drove me out again...which was okay...twilight time arrived.... best for critter pics....and I went to Creek's End..and heard Blue Jay scolding...and found Mama Owl where I have often wished to find Owl....perched in the Leaning Cedars...again, I had both tripod set ups....and I filled up both cards...these are eight gig cards!...though some space has saved favorites...nonetheless, I took a lot of pics and clips!...Owl posed and posed...I have views looking out towards the Merced, views from across the Creek at Zeke's Perch...and finally views up Creek right by Lodgepole Point...to get those, I took the boots off, and waded out into the Creek (kept my socks on...helped a little to cushion against the gravel!)...I was quite a sight, standing in the Creek, with both cameras on their respective tripods...and quite a view to the two kayakers that came by!...they were quiet, and I think delighted to see Owl....the clip up is the view I had there....it...it is the most remarkable clip I've taken...clips!..both cameras!...and on a remarkable day, with the morning Owls and the Peregrine!!....Owl flies off because Ravens came by...but didn't go far, and I hung around Creek's End awhile listening to the hoo hoo hoos...and then Owl flew back to the Leaning Cedars!...one last clip in the fading light, and I picked up and went out the Channel towards Ozone Beach...and along the way, found one Fledgling in the Grasses...clips and pics for sometime...picked up, and when I got to the River, found, sadly, the Cedar that I hid behind to see Merganser the first time, and startled Coop (Red Shoulder Hawk) hiding there too, Coop was eyeing Merganser, this Cedar has fallen into the River...more shore erosion...oh...I am really fond of that Tree!...another Aspen across the River has fallen too...so there's like three major Tree falls thereabout from shore edge erosion...made it in time to Last Chance for dinner...a last lookback at the last pink glow on Half Dome...a fine evening!...a fine morning!...sunny blue hot...but cooled off in the evening...some pink smoke over the Cathedrals...portions of the many Owl clips of the last few days I'll post from time to time...report that the bird with the band on it's foot is a Homing Pigeon...owner is hoping the effort to catch it is successful!...actually has two bands, one on each foot...showed a feather at the Visitor Center...found it in the Delta a few days ago...no one sure what Bird its from..but in looking at Owl pics...I think it's Owl's...so Owl hunts in the Delta...I've never seen Owl there...maybe that's next!!...and always hopeful for Pygmy Owl, which I believe I've heard there....Owl hoo hoos twice in the clip...and clicks beak...but just barely discernable...
Webpage about 'scoping'...

No comments: