Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Falcons




Pic and clips from yesterday....except Cottonwood...that clip is from this evening's walk...didn't go far...just to the Woods where I sat for a long while watching Cottonwood...and this after following Aspen from Tree to Tree....some very cool clips...for sometime...made a short walk earlier along the Creek after going to the Village for errands...this in midday heat...quiet...slept most of the rest of the day!....oh!....heard Hawk again across the Creek while at the Swath..same place as before...and just one loud call in the fading light...unusual to hear Hawk so late...call like Red Shoulder's....but no luck locating...will have to study the Deer House Oaks...sunny hot blue....about the Falcons: we saw them from four of the Points...Dewey, Taft, one I forget(Stanford)..and lastly, Gilbert(Crocker)....at all, they were airborne, except the last, where we located the calls and spotted one Falcon on the Snag....I took pics and clips with the 20x, but way distant.... Falcon looked content to pose, so I unpacked the mini scope digi, and the backpacking tripod, and set it up...was able to get some clips and pics...we were standing almost at the end of the Point, and the Snag Tree, across a gap...it could be seen from a closer vantage back from the Point....I didn't want to disturb Falcon..we thought it might be a Fledgling waiting for Mama Falcon, so I asked my friend to stay behind while I tried to get closer (been my experience that more than two footsteps, makes more than too much noise!)...I was able to get closer, and got the pic...and almost the clips...I say almost, as I was slow to sight in the digi...and the first Falcon flew off...got that somewhat!...but was disappointed...then I looked up from the camera view screen, and saw the second Falcon further out on the limb...it had landed out of range of the view screen...I often have a kinda tunnel vision doing the clips...looking only at the screen!...anyway, I tried to sight again...and got the second Falcon's lift off too!!...somewhat!....the tripod has a small ball head...and it works okay, but I'm not used to it yet...sighting the digi, and any camera really, takes time and practice, so that ones hands and fingers know what to do...like playing a new song on the piano....and it's not easy!.....wish I had taken the big scope, but that would have required the big tripod..and a big weight on a long day's hike!...but, now I have in mind to take the Bus up to Glacier...hike to the Points...and come down in the late evening on the Four Mile Trail...maybe find a Grey!... I dont know how many Falcons there are...like I posted...over the course of the day, I saw myself six, and my friend saw a seventh, but there may well be only two...two was all we ever saw together....dont have to think long for a name for Falcon....Horus.

About Egyptian birds:
http://www.biomapegypt.org/biodiversity/WildLife/Birds_12.html

and this one too...though a bit hyperbolic!
http://www.hummingbirdworld.com/chiricahua/peregrine.htm

No comments: