Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tomales Bay Hawk






After Breakfast, paddled over to the Village, checked mail, and paddled back to Bobcat Meadow...sat awhile by the Elm...Flicker call, Redwings, Starlings, Blue Jays, Acorn Woodpeckers, Robins, Ravens, and Mallards...and Ground Squirrels...Little Birds by the Creek Footbridge....light overcast warm...at Lunch: sat awhile at the Ozone Cottonwoods...Male Merganser, Mallards flying about, Robins, Blue Jays, Song Sparrow....pics up from Point Reyes trip...to continue: Road from Petaluma to Bodega Bay very cool...rolling Green Hills full of Cows...here and there sighted Hawks...Redtail landed on a Shrub covered Hillside, and posed...farfar away pics and clip...pulled over several times for Hawks, but more often than not, Hawks fly off just as I open Silver's Door...and too sighted Two Kestrels, and One Red Shoulder Hawk on Wire at the Coast...I had thought Bodega Bay was the Long Bay I see on Maps, and remembered from long ago trip up North Coast, and when I got to Bodega Bay, the Road ended right at Cheney Creek, a little Wildlife Reserve, and I paid the Parking Fee, six dollars, but actually ten, as I didn't have change to put in the envelop for the square pipe, geared up, and after a short walk, found myself watching surfers at the Coast, with a large Oval Bay on my right, and wondering what happened to the Long Bay on the Map!....took pics and clips for sometime, and back on Hwy. 1, went North through Bodega Bay, thinking to find the Schoolhouse from the Movie, The Birds. (saw this first run in theaters, and thought it a bit fantastic!), but quickly rolled through Town, and the Roadside opened to a vista of the Rocky North Coast...pics...and a pause to wonder where to go...continue North, I had two days to travel, or South, and find the Long Bay...and I went South, and not too far along, after an inland section of Hwy 1, I reached the Long Bay--Tomales Bay...by then I was hungry...had had light Breakfast at the Motel (I recommend Quality Inns!), and passed one Oyster Restaurant where one could sit at a Long Table and look out over the Bay, and reached another, where I thought I might do the same, and have lunch...but it was closed!...Tony's the name I think...but just as I was climbing back in Silver, I sighted Hawk, Redtail, darting about on the Wind above the Trees...tried for pics...flight pic up...and while taking pics, Two Ravens flew at Hawk, and Hawk did an acrobatic move to fight back...and I was lucky to get pic!...to be continued...

No comments: