Thursday, September 18, 2014

Almost Whale























Late roll out...Sun almost down while I was putting on my hiking boots, my shoes I call them in town!...took some sunset backyard pics...engine block has moved to a rolling platform, but hasn't moved far, nor most of the accumulation...and nothing moved in the garage...so my bluff, if I want it to be, is being called...move it or move out...a week's time was given...a few days left, and I'll add a couple for the heat...hmmph...rolled out to Balboa...still some light in the sky...top pic...and settled in at the Pier's End tables with snack of hotdog and hot chocolate...a young cute couple arrived and first thing unfolded and set up a directors chair...this much to the amusement of the more weather beaten sorts about, including me...couple's fishing poles and reels looked brand new too...but both were deft when setting up, and within ten minutes of both lines in the water, they had reeled in four or five Mackerel...with one catch, the girl laughed as her pole bent over, and backed up trying to bring in the line, and then pulled it up hand over hand...don't know, maybe reel wasn't reeling...they knew enough to have thin plastic food handler glove, and  the ever present salad tongs to grab flipping Mackerel...while watching their effort, all of a sudden a shout out, and rush to the railing..."Whale!"...I hurried, looked into the darkness, D10 camera video on, but no luck...almost....clear warm light breeze...I could almost feel an Autumn coolness last evening at Magnolia Beach, and this evening, waiter thought it cool, and his being out at Pier's End often, he may have it right, Fall has begun...it was still summer warm to me!...Fall is morning ice in the sierra cup in the Mountains...from the fishermen at the railing: 'did you see it?'...'yes'...it was a big whale!'...the couple saw Whale too!...hmmph...oh...Whale was going South...brb....Grey Whales begin South from the Bearing Sea in October...oh...and from the railing fishermen: '799'....'huh?'...'one Mackerel'...'huh!?'...'799 casts, and one Mackerel!'...'oh'...

No comments: