Monday, September 29, 2014

Balboa Crabs





















"Have you an Octopus?" I said in answer to the vagabond's request 'anything for the homeless?'...he looked up, and seeing me, smiled, 'oh...remember that'...I looked up too from peering in his giant blue bucket, the kind like for laundry with white nylon rope handles...it was half full of water, and nearing that of Mackerel...I smiled, and moved on...this was at Pier's End, which had just a few fishermen...a Monday evening in late September, and windy, but warm clear...further on, a crab net was coming up with a few small Crabs...peered in the white bucket, which was filling up with Crabs, some maybe keepers...Crab fishermen were keeping all, and one was kind to hold Crab awhile while I tried to get the auto focus to respond in the low light with the 70-300...this can be a real problem if something is fleeting...and often happens in my dreams!...shutter wont shutter...should have used the d10 with flash...earlier I took the Ferry over to the Island and back, after a snack, fish and chips at the BBQ place by the Ferris Wheel...on the Island, sat a bit and took pics and clips of Piper catching Tiny Crabs...Sherriff's boat motoring by on return...and Pier Parking Lot Palms doing their sunset show, which brings all the photophones up!...maybe like nine people on the Beach, both east and west of the Pier...pics and clip of Sanderling on the Beach trying to stay out of the Wind in a small Sand Hole for sometime...Cormorant was on the Beach too, just surrounded by sand foot prints, head tucked down, trying to sleep in the Wind....

3 comments:

Katie (Nature ID) said...

It looks like you're enjoying the coastal environment, after an extended absence in the Sierra Nevada. So, do you think you'll go back up there to visit? What season do you miss most?

DavidDavid said...

I like Fall, from about Oct. 15 to Nov. 15. I'll go back, sometime somehow! Meanwhile, I have a long coast, and a 'this old house' project!

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Yep, a true autumn is what I miss most living on the coast.