Friday, September 5, 2014

Sand Crab Bubbles






















While taking washed up Kelp pics, the surf brought to my feet a small lost shovel...gathered it in...loot!...and returned to the blue folding nylon chair where I was content to sit awhile yesterday evening at Magnolia Beach (Magnolia St. ends at PCH, and across is Huntington State Beach, and to shorten all that, I'm gonna just post "Magnolia Beach, or '39 Beach',  now and then)...dug a hole to see its usefulness in digging for Sand Crabs...I was surprised to see so many Sandcrab Holes so high on the Beach...I was about 20 feet back from the Berm Edge, and they were everywhere...and put on a show when surf washed up under the chair!...I held my feet out and made the little clip posted...warm clear breezy...I took along the drop handle bike, but not the right tire pump, and tires too low to ride...next time...hmmph...expensive bikes are high maintenance...can't even hold air in tires a few weeks!...shoulda checked, I know...today, rolled out to San Clemente to drop off the lens for repairs, and on to San Onofre State Beach to looksee...entry pass worked there...pics for sometime...

Why do Sand Crabs Bubble?...I thought to google that...to me, it looked like Sand Crabs had come up to catch things in the thin surf wash, but wiki didn't explain it, and e-how has it that Sand Crabs burrow downward when a surf wash comes over to escape Pipers, and that makes bubbles...I've always looked for the bubbles to catch Sand Crabs...see bubbles, dig fast...what I was seeing may have been bits of shell percolating, but I bet if I dug quick with the shovel, I'd'a caught Sand Crab! 

Well, I've been doing searches, as there is something remarkable about Sand Crab's tail...it 'has larger sensory neurons than any animal'...but I haven't been able to grasp the tale of tail, or the bubbles...an update in order sometime!!!

No comments: