Thursday, September 11, 2014

Octopus






























I leaned over to look into another white five gallon bucket, expectant as most always to see suffocating Mackerels, and sure enough, more Mackerels, but too, Octopus!...I joined a couple other photogs, and took a pic, and as I was, overheard the fisherman explain his and his friends plight to the photogs moving off, and ask for a donation, 'for a motel'...'good luck with that in Balboa!', I thought, things are a bit pricey...the two fishermen were vagabonds, I gathered, though they had good gear, and even a hoop net, which had brought up Octopus, and one small Crab, 'so far'...I continued to Pier's End, more buckets, more Mackerels, with the contemplation of Octopus...'well' I thought, 'I'll ransom Octopus'....'five bucks if you toss Octopus back'...fisherman thought...'ten'...'nonono...its a five dollar octopus'...thought came of somewhere where people pay to have caged pigeons released for good luck...'ok'....fisherman was afraid of Octopus, first he'd seen live, and I didn't help...'they bite, have a sorta beak'...so he figured to take all the Mackerel out, and toss Octopus and all the seawater in the bucket over...he actually had to work a bit to catch all the Mackerel, and even the dead ones were slipping out of his hands...but that done, he lifted the bucket up and over the rail...'Oh!'...he exclaimed and kept the bucket at arms length...Octopus was glued to the bottom...I took the bucket, and thought, 'now I'll see myself if Octopus bites!'...the Tentacles were like living Velcro, and I was afraid the Tentacles would rip off, but finally most of them wrapped around my hand, and I persuaded Octopus to let loose, and splash into the sea below...'is that blood?'...'no, just ink'...and Octopus swam down below the ink cloud, none the worse...I didn't get bit, so I don't know if Octopi bite or not!...(they do)... further along returning, I heard a big splash, kid had leaped from the Pier...I was in time with the D20 to take clip of the second kid leaping...they had duck feet fins, and joined two other body surfers at the wave break, and those two each had go pro cameras...surf was small, but surfers regard small surf as a pleasant enough pursuit between days when it's big!...kinda like photogs taking seagull and sunset pics while waiting for something more uncommon!.... Seagulls are so common, and are all over Town...and Seagulls just look common, like the common denominator of all birds...Seagulls were about while I snacked on cheese enchiladas sitting on the Beach Berm, watching two big girls, one introducing her child to the surf...Picasso did some line drawings of big girls on a beach..brb...nope, cant find them, just the famous painting of two running... clear warm light breeze... Flag pic is from evening before on 39...have that pic now!