Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sand On My Nose

 



If Puppy was mine, I'd call 'm 'Sand'...Puppy looked to have very good home with the Volley Ball Players....
















Rolled out early, wanted to get some newsprint pads at Michaels in Costa Mesa...on 19th street, I think...didn't have big size, so got like six small pads for five bucks--some kinda sale...continued to 39's Beach...at the Snack Stand got a chili dog and gator aid, and seemed to have survived the chili dog...paddled over to, and out along, the Pier...sat a long while, watching the stand up paddleboard surfers, and waiting to get sunset pics...pics up from along the way, forth and back...clear warm windy...a new type of surfboard has come along called a 'foamy'...very light, very buoyant, and some very big, big enough to stand on and just paddle along on with a long oar like being in a rowboat...the innovative now surf on them, and do well catching smaller waves...saw a clip of this board riding those big waves in Tahiti too...so they are the equal, I guess, of the small surf boards, and the old long boards...I think they are a fad, and can't see the sense of paddling about the harbor standing up...or waiting for waves to come in standing up...don't know, but I imagine one could take one to Catalina...brb...yes, charities and races to Catalina...the foamys also make a very good beginner surfing board, so good I guess, meaning one can stand up and ride okay soon, one quickly out grows them and wants a more conventional fiberglass board...don't know if this is so...have to get one to see...they're cheap...a hot dogger at the Big Wedge day took one with him along with his fiberglass short board and transferred from the foamy to the fiberglass while on a large wave...I have the still pics of this, and  it's in the jillion little movies of that day being posted to youtube, and as it happens, he's one of the surfing world's elite, and that world regards the transfer ride as 'sick' which is the new parlance for 'bitch'n'!...it was fun to see, but what I really admire about that day, was the decorum of the surfers, they just went about things, and too the decorum of the onlookers, which was very appreciative--and there weren't any vendors, or tents, or loud speakers, or overhead cameras on wires (just wireless drones!), or jesus people with posters howling at everyone about doomsday...the photogs were even polite, 'cept one that crowded in front of me with tripod and all..."Hey dude, wth!"..."Oh, come stand beside me..."..."It's not just me, these two guys (who were short) are blocked out too!"...Photog quickly chatted it up with the two guys and they all became fast crowd friends, regaled by his relating his usc photo education and gear lore regarding drones!..."I'm not getting one yet...waiting for legal decisions..."..hmmph...start carrying a slingshot myself...oh...there is a Volley Ball tournament this coming weekend by Huntington Beach Pier...if  I go, I'm not sure what subject matter I'll photo eyeball more, the athleticism, or the teeny bikinis!

No comments: