Saturday, June 7, 2008

Mountain Garter Snake






Got up for early Breakfast...then off to Creek's End....there a Buck and Doe were cavorting on the far bank of the Merced..got a nice clip....wanted to get more...but to get ahead of them from my side.... as they went into the Aspen Row...I had to wade the Diversion Channel...which is a little bit full again...the water is up again...even higher yesterday...found a log a bit past Half Stump...and sat and tried to dry my feet waiting for the Deer...but they didn't show again...it had been my thought to go back to the Cabin to curl up...but I continued on the Counterclockwise Loop....thinking I might not see Six and Seven for awhile if I'm off to Tuolumne....and out in Two Top Meadow I found them both...and the Violet Green Swallows...and...this little Garter Snake!....I had to use my shadow to make the 12x have a good exposure....once I got a clip and pic...I picked up and went over the Rock Pile...just as I got there I heard a dry slither...another Garter Snake!...and larger...before I could set up it went under the rock...I found an old stick...like Fennel...and rattled it around a bit in the faint hope Garter Snake would come out...I dont go so far as to overturn things...and from the looks of it Garter Snake put on it's game face!...and poked it's head out....another pic and clip!....I picked up and went to Swinging Bridge...with the new caution that the Rockpile is an ideal Snake Home....at the Bridge a photog friend appeared as if by magic....they were here in the winter...and were here for the weekend...so we had a nice walk along the Chapel Road and out to Lodgepole Point...chased Butterflies...and the Illusive Bird...got a pic of some bird I might not have...check tomorrow...I'm wooped...it was a long morning and long day at work!....and wet feet for four hours is not a good thing!...but a worthwhile walkabout!...and another blue sunny gorgeous day!

No comments: